Emma and Jason have a constant power struggle between the two of them, as well as the next door neighbors. One of the examples of a power struggle is when they get in a fight about Emma becoming friends with her ex on Facebook. Jason gets very up set, and they continue to "one-up" each other through out the conversation, until Jason ends up storming out of the apartment.
Another power struggle is when they started to create date nights for the two of them, and Jason forgets about the date night, and wants to go to the game with his friends. Emma becomes very upset about this, and soon she becomes silent with anger, and "holding it in". Jason realizes that what he should have done was think more about Emma than about his friends and the game, so he goes out and buys her flowers, but at that point it is too late. Emma is already getting ready to go out with her friends, and she isn't going to change her mind. Once again in the conversation they continue to "one-up" each other, until someone gets so angry they storm out.
Agency is defined as; why people often feel the need to "change" their relational partners, so that they fit their conceptions of how a perfect partner should behave." I think within this same case, Emma and Jason's neighbors are also having a power struggle, it seems as though the "he neighbor" as they call him, is trying to change the way the "she neighbor" is acting by violence.
Dominance refers to the display or expression of power through behavior, which can relate to almost all the cases that we had to read through this particular session involving hard emotions, but especially in this case involving the neighbors, the he and she neighbor. It seems as though the "he neighbor" is constantly trying to dominate the "she neighbor" by telling her what to do, and acting out in violence, as a way to control her, and it is continuing to worsen.
In conclusion, all the cases that we read in this session involved very difficult situations that occur from peoples different perspectives, and reasons people act the way they do. Although this was probably the hardest, and most emotional section of our class, I think that it was the most beneficial, I really can relate to a lot of these cases, and the emotions involved in these situations. I learned a lot of about myself, and relationships that I have with other people in this particular module.
I also wrote about this case and I agree with your analysis. You tied in terms like "dominance" and "agency" well with the case while demonstrating a real understanding of the class material. Great job!
ReplyDelete~Jo Anna Phillips
The next part of cases is very emotional too, I cried reading the one about the mom dying. About your case study, I did not know the term "agency" I guess I missed that part in the readings, interesting concept though. Good job!
ReplyDelete-Cezanne Sanchez
I really enjoyed reading your blog. I learned a lot about myself with this section of the class too. I could relate to almost all of the case studies and it helped me understand things better that occurred during certain relationships that I have had. I thought you expressed the terms very well and helped me understand this case better.
ReplyDeleteViola Lucero
You wrote this blog so well and applied the concepts perfectly to our course. I agree with above comment that you expressed the terms well. Good job!! ~ Tonia Cravens
ReplyDeleteI also wrote about this Case study too. I enjoyed reading your blog and how you wrote it. I agree with everything you wrote in the story I was once in a relationship like the couple next door who they never wanted to be like. Good Job!
ReplyDeleteYou did a wonderful job on this blog. As others mentioned, I also learned a great deal about myself and my relationships during this module. Great Job!!!
ReplyDelete